Friday, February 27, 2009

Sloop v. Sloop

I began building Murmeltier long before I planned on starting this blog. In February of 2008 I got really sick and was on the couch for week - terrible flu symptoms. It then that I decided I wasn't going to live in the cold for very much longer. I've had a love-hate relationship with MN for a long time and never intended on being back here for as long as I have. The only reason I did was to try and start over on the cheap. I wanted to be around family and friends and save money while I made a decent run at getting some stories published from the spare room in my parents' house. It didn't work out and along the way shifted from writing to business through my day job. So there I was, sick, 3 years later, living in an apartment in uptown, working on becoming a project manager, and I thought: "what the hell is going on here? I was only planning on being here for a short time. My mother has moved away and my dad is gone. I'm not saving any money and I'm still living in MN." I decided that I needed to escape from winter and the Midwest, but furthermore I needed to roam, be alone and self-reliant, and be somewhere warm - what better way to do that than from a sailboat? I've been dreaming (and preparing) ever since about the day I get to kick-off from the US and just putz around. Realizing that that day may be farther off in the future than I would like it to be, I set about building my own sailboat - the Murmeltier (marmot) - out of wooden stir sticks. The following posts will detail how that project has gone so far and will build up to the finishing touches I'll make to it in the coming month in preparation for launch this spring and a final race against the Uberstix sailboat I got for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment